Posted 5 years ago
- Job Title: HVAC Repair Technician
- Primary Job Function:
- The job of HVAC Technician was established for the purpose/s of providing skilled Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) services with specific responsibility for identifying repair and/or replacement needs; installing, repairing, maintaining and upgrading HVAC and Energy Management Control Systems (EMCS) and equipment in accordance with industry best practices; ensuring that all work is done according to design specifications, state and local building codes, and applicable regulations.
- Essential Functions:
- Analyzes blueprints, schematics, and drawings for the purpose of identifying the location of new and existing HVAC systems and determining the efficient installation of additional systems.
- Cleans air conditioning and heating units (e.g. coils, condensation pans, drain lines, cooling towers, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring units are operating efficiently, correctly and within safety guidelines.
- Coordinates with supervisor and other trades (e.g. inspectors, suppliers, contractors, district personnel, consultants, etc.) for the purpose of completing projects and work orders.
- Diagnoses causes of problems and/or failures in HVAC systems and energy management control systems for the purpose of identifying equipment and/or systems repair and/or replacement needs ensuring responsive and corrective action for urgent building operation items, indoor air quality, thermal comfort parameters.
- Estimates labor, materials, and/or equipment needed to complete work projects for the purpose of ensuring timely completion of projects. • Fabricates or coordinates the fabrication of equipment parts for the purpose of meeting specialty needs and/or replacing unavailable parts. • Informs personnel regarding procedures and/or status of work orders for the purpose of providing information for making decisions, taking appropriate action and/or complying with building and safety regulations.
- Installs HVAC equipment and systems (e.g. actuators, compressors, building control systems, DDC sensors, heat pumps, alarm systems, control panels, energy management control systems, pressure reducing valves, etc.) for the purpose of providing enhanced and/or upgraded capabilities.
- Maintains clean and orderly conditions in all working areas for the purpose of observing all safety practices and regulations. Maintains records (e.g. equipment repair history, work orders, test reports, etc.) for the purpose of documenting required information.
- Maintains vehicle, tools and equipment for the purpose of ensuring availability in safe operating condition.
- Monitors contract work for the purpose of ensuring contract terms are fulfilled and work standards are met. Monitors HVAC systems and their components (e.g. heating units, building exhaust fans, ventilation units, etc.) for the purpose of evaluating condition, identifying necessary repairs and recommending preventive and predictive maintenance.
- Performs emergence, predictive and preventive maintenance for the purpose of ensuring the ongoing functioning of HVAC systems. Prepares written materials (e.g. repair status, activity logs, recommendations, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities and/or conveying information.
- Prioritizes work orders for the purpose of addressing health and safety problems first.
- Responds to emergency situations during or after hours for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
- Secures equipment and supplies (e.g. locates parts, makes purchases, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining inventory and ensuring availability of items required to complete the necessary installation and/or repair.
- Transports a variety of tools, equipment and supplies for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at job site.
- Additional Functions:
- Participates in meetings, workshops, training, and seminars, as assigned for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform job functions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
- Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
- Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- SKILLS are required to perform single, technical tasks with a need to occasionally upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating equipment used in the installation , repair and maintenance of HVAC equipment; planning and managing projects; preparing and maintaining accurate records; and handling of hazardous materials.
- KNOWLEDGE is required to perform algebra and/or geometry; read technical information, compose a variety of documents, and/or facilitate group discussions; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: indoor air monitoring equipment and interpret resulting data; standards for design and construction; air conditioning and heating codes; and hazards and safety precautions.
- ABILITY is required to schedule a number of activities, meetings, and/or events; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and consider a number of factors when using equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others; work with data utilizing defined and similar processes; and utilize equipment under a variety of conditions for multiple purposes. Ability is also required to work with a wide diversity of individuals; work with similar types of data; and utilize a wide variety of types of job-related equipment. Problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data frequently requires independent interpretation of guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is moderate to significant. Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities; communicating with diverse groups; meeting deadlines and schedules; working as part of a team; working with constant interruptions; and displaying mechanical aptitude.
- Responsibilities include: working under direct supervision using standardized routines; leading, guiding, and/or coordinating others; and monitoring budget expenditures. Utilization of some resources from other work units is often required to perform the job’s functions. There is a continual opportunity to impact the organization’s services.
- Working Environment
- The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; significant climbing and balancing; significant stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 10% sitting, 60% walking, and 30% standing. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and under conditions with exposure to risk of injury and/or illness.
- Job related experience within specialized field is required.
- Targeted job related education that meets organization’s prerequisite requirements.
- Grade 12 high school diploma or academic equivalent through an educational program such as a GED; minimum of two years training in industrial instrumentation, refrigeration, air conditioning, mechanical technology, electrical technology, building technician, or related technical trade; four years related experience in building controls and maintenance of heating ventilation and air conditioning systems; physical and mechanical aptitude to perform a full range of maintenance tasks.
- Required Testing
- Pre-employment Proficiency Test
- Pre-employment Physical Exam
- FLSA Status
- Non Exempt
- Certificates & Licenses
- Valid Driver’s License & Evidence of Insurability
- HVAC Technician Certification
- EPA Certification-Freon Capture and Recovery
- Forklift Certification
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
- TB Clearance
- Skills, Knowledge and Abilities